virus: FWD, David's plug on Extropians

Sean Morgan (sean@lucifer.com)
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 09:31:34 -0600

From: davidmc@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (David Mcfadzean)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 11:30:39 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: [#95-7-347] Transhuman religions (was The Fundamental Theorem of
Voodoo)

At 11:26 PM 7/15/95 BST, Mark Grant <Mark.Grant@isltd.insignia.com> wrote:

>I wonder if there's *any* possibility of some kind of transhuman
>religion, at least in the conventional sense ? If you're a
>Jupiter-sized brain covered in nano-assemblers, I can't really conceive
>of anything that you could possibly worship..

If you're a Jupiter-sized brain covered in nano-assemblers, you might
be able to conceive of something to worship that mere humans cannot
imagine. But as for a transhuman (as opposed to posthuman) religion,
I don't think there is anything inherent in the concept of religion
that precludes transhumanist ideas. In fact I am actively exploring
the possibility of memetically engineering a transhuman religion. Check
out The Church of Virus at "http://www.lucifer.com/virus/". The basic
idea is that religion may be an excellent vector for transhuman memes.

--
David McFadzean                 dbm@merak.com
Memetic Engineer                http://www.merak.com/~dbm/
 Sean Morgan |   sean@lucifer.com          |   sean.morgan@sap-ag.de