Re: virus: Cult of Personality.

David McFadzean (dbm@merak.com)
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 14:21:55 -0600

At 10:23 AM 9/10/95 -0600, Duane Daniel Hewitt wrote:

>Good memetic engineers should take note about the phenomenon known as a
>"Cult of Personality". It is characteristic of almost all mass movements
>(I can't think of any exceptions)

I'm reading a book now called "True Believer: thoughts on the nature
of mass movements" by Eric Hoffer (thanks to Deron Stewart for the
loan). Though I'm only just over half done, the author has yet to
mention Cult of Personality or charasmatic leaders. His thesis lies
more along the lines that mass movements provide people with means
to escape themselves because of their guilt, inadequacies, poverty,
powerlessness, self-hate, etc., etc. I'll post a more detailed review
when I've finished reading it.

>The question now arises as to how this should be incorporated into Virus.

I don't think it is necessary to incorporate a cult of personality into
Virus. People should not submerge their individuality nor self-sacrifice
in the name of any movement, society, or authority. Virus advocates
the opposite.

>Another question arises as to the source of this propensity to seek for a
>leader/mentor.

I don't see any mystery here. Or perhaps I don't understand your question?

--
David McFadzean                 dbm@merak.com
Memetic Engineer                http://www.merak.com/~dbm/