Re: virus: Observations on Virus

Todd M Kuipers esq (tkuipers@merak.com)
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:13:45 -0600

At 11:22 AM 10/25/95 +0000, virus@lucifer.com wrote:
>However, I think Virus suffers from a critical flaw, which may be inherent:
>Virus is too dogmatic.
>
>You may be gasping in disbelief, but I keep seeing evidence of this irony
>again and again. My understanding of Virus in general is that it is
>ideally to be a "religion" (I will use that word for convenience's sake)
>WITHOUT dogma, but rather with a totally adaptable complex of memes. That
>way it may evolve with changing cultural values, etc., and remain relevant
>over a long period of time.

There exists no dogma that is not open to modification or interpretation.
Geez, even the Catholics modify their belief systems periodically. Writing
things down does not exclude them from alteration. Religions that do not
allow for alterations eventually die out. Take Catholicism again; the
changes in their dogma from the original form are startling (but painfully
slow at times). I'd think tho' that the first law should be "nothing is
written in stone". Each religion or philosophy takes items such as mores
and labels them fact until the next generation overturns them.
--------tkuipers@merak.com-----------------(403) 294-4336--------
Todd M. Kuipers - New Media Propagandist - Merak Projects
Calgary 403-294-4300 - Houston 713-850-1633 - Perth 9-221-7141
---------Oil & Gas?? -->> The Merak Web SITE http://www.merak.com
-------------- A very hip web page http://www.merak.com/~tkuipers
---------------- Grafax http://www.merak.com/~tkuipers/grafax.htm
E-mail-zines lst http://www.merak.com/~tkuipers/elists/elists.htm