Re: virus: Concerning "Religious Monkeys"

Todd M Kuipers esq (tkuipers@merak.com)
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 14:20:31 -0600

>I wrote:
>>>If evolution has been taking place for
>>>millions of years, shouldn't there be millions of slight variations in
>>>species found in fossils? I mean as if they were many new species closely
>>>enough related to the original one species as to be able to associate it,
>>>yet different enough to reclassify it in it's own species. Basically, one
>>>genus, thousands of species?
>
>Luree wrote:
>>Actually, some creatures evolve in a very short time span in
>>order to survive. In fact, Scientists use the drosofila fruit fly in
>>experiments because it can evolve in two weeks. The reason that there isn't
>>a fossil record of every change is that many animals are too soft-bodied to
>>leave permanent records.
>
>Okay, one question though: Where are all of the thousands of inbetweens for
>the genuses today? For instance shouldn't there be many stages of the house
>cat living today? We only have a few breeds...

That's the entire point. Why would all of those in-betweens be around. If
the environment was such that all these stages would exist they by necessity
would not necesarrily exist. Survival of the fittest...
Todd M. Kuipers | Merak Projects Ltd.
New Media Propagandist | http://www.merak.com
tkuipers@merak.com | Developer of Oil & Gas Software
(403) 294 4336 | Calgary, Houston, Australia
http://www.merak.com/~tkuipers | Treekiller (403) 294 4301
ytivarg luftif ni sgge gniyal egarag eht ni strovac god aishcuf eht