Re: virus: Concerning "Religious Monkeys"

Duane Daniel Hewitt (ddhewitt@acs.ucalgary.ca)
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 14:27:13 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, FERN JEREMIAH wrote:

> Luree wrote:
> >Actually, some creatures evolve in a very short time span in
> >order to survive. In fact, Scientists use the drosofila fruit fly in
> >experiments because it can evolve in two weeks. The reason that there isn't
> >a fossil record of every change is that many animals are too soft-bodied to
> >leave permanent records.
>
> Okay, one question though: Where are all of the thousands of inbetweens for
> the genuses today? For instance shouldn't there be many stages of the house
> cat living today? We only have a few breeds...

There are many examples of transitional species and dead ends such as the
dinosaurs.

Is the thrust of your argument that because we do not have a
complete fossil record for every conceivable intermediate that Natural
Selection is bogus? Many changes are too subtle to show up in fossils.
Fossilization is by no means a common event either.

Duane Hewitt